14th August 1945
- A radio recording is made by Emperor Hirohito in which he states that the “war should end” and the Japanese people should expect to “bear the unbearable”.
- The Kyūjō incident occurs, where some Japanese Officers, unsuccessfully, attempt to steal the Emperor’s recording to prevent it being broadcast in order to stop the surrender. They are unsuccessful and take their own lives as a result.
- VJ Celebrations begin in New York City (surrender occurred noon 15th August 1945 Japan Standard Time / 23:00 14th August 1945 Eastern Daylight Time (New York)).
- The Viet Minh begin an uprising, in what is now known as the August Revolution, against the French colonial rule in Vietnam.
- General Douglas McArthur is made head of Occupation Forces within Japan