16th August 1945
- General Jonathan Wainwright, senior field commander of U.S. and Philippine forces, is released from Manchuria.
- The Japanese cabinet resigns.
- Emperor Hirohito issues a decree at 16:00JST ordering Japanese forces to ceasefire.
- Winston Churchill speaks in the House of Commons and describes an “iron curtain” that has descended across Europe.
- Chinese Civil War: Battle of Yongjiazhen begins.
Remembering captivity across Southeast Asia and the Far East during the Second World War