22nd August 1945
- The Soviet invasion of Maoka on Southern Sakhalin Island ends.
- Emperor Puyi, Munchukuo’s puppet ruler and considered the last Emperor of China, is taken into custody by Soviet forces.
19th August 1945
- Kwantung Army Headquarters issue surrender orders to the Imperial Japanese Army in Manchuria.
- The Soviet invasion of Maoka on Southern Sakhalin Island begins.
- Chinese Civil War: Battle of Yongjiazhen ends, communist victory.
Remembering captivity across Southeast Asia and the Far East during the Second World War